Welcome to my Mixed Media Art Blog!
A hyperactive mix of art journalling, shadow box making, altered books, collage, mixed media techniques, digital art, dry point printing, intaglio, chine-collée, drawing, painting, poetry ..... and more!
My son has an old CraftROBO he used for vinyl cutting and the Silhouette templates are compatible so I have been playing with the machine for producing interesting backgrounds with the die-cuts I produced.
Nothing has appeared in this one since the London riots in 2011. We were caught up crossing London West to East and got stuck in the back of a block of flats in Clapham, while a group of hooded boys drew nearer and nearer to our car until we managed to make a u turn and drive like mad. We had passed police vans by Clapham Common just before that - I still don't know if they were working up to something or hiding! We saw crowds of people gathering all the way through London and our son had rung our mobile while we were trying to get out of the flats in Clapham and became very agitated but we had not fully understood what was happening until we got to our daughter's house in East Dulwich. Then we watched the news while rioters worked their way up Lordship Lane.
However ... now my MA is complete I have rediscovered pleasure in art as well as writing and have returned to art journalling - words and pictures!
My latest is a sort of found poem from a book about Mazzini , 1805-1872 - the cover has gone as I have obviously cannibalised it for book art, but the final chapter was called Literary Criticism so I used that as a source for this spread, called The Critic...
Very apt as I have worked hard on developing creative and critical skills over the last year. I worked with positive and negative shapes, with stencils, and repeated squares plus jigsaw pieces (actual and stencilled) - and a label with a Mary Cassat painting that I love.
This is a new technique I found through an atcsforall.com swap.
The plate has a strange feel, with lots of give. It was quite expensive but it can be re-used again and again, after cleaning with water or a baby-wipe. You can't use anything sharp on it to make marks as this could damage the surface but you can use blunt tools, like the end of a paint brush for mark making.
I put dabs of coloured acrylic on the plate and rolled it with a brayer; I added various shapes like sequin waste and empty frames etc. I especially like the effects created by using metallic acrylics. I often printed for a second time over the original print to create more layering.
The prints were from a 6" x 6" plate. They have been cut down to create 3.5" x 2.5" cards so I have chosen the most interesting rectangles.
There is a lot of scope with this! These prints would make good backgrounds but I shall be experimenting so watch this space!
I have not done any printing for ages,mainly because I have been doing my MA and the dissertation - which is now finished at last.
This time I have been making lino cuts for an ATCsforall.com swap, Botanical Wonders, where 9 block prints, 5" x 7" have to be sent in.
Some time ago I carved this one and I am inordinately fond of it! I like the positive and negative elements - I think the small fish were cut out paper fish added to the block...
This was a drawing from some time ago I was going to use for an etched acrylic sheet, so I started with this
but altered it to this,
to straighten the edge and add more detail to the half carved leaf and to the acorn cups
Next I tried an iris I found in a book of old botanical drawings
and now wish I had maybe stuck to this carving for the flower but I decided it was confusing so
I did this one and then these
and I am wondering whether to cut out most of the flower away for white space now...
The printing was done using the Cuttlebug machine as a press: only the black one is done with water based printing ink and a roller - as I couldn't remember where I put them, doh. Previously I used stamp pads rubbed over the surface and then printed. Cheap ones are hopeless as they make a bitty print - see second iris. The best are Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads (second print of brown leaves and green iris) - unlikely but they are really effective and give a nice uniform colour too.
These are butterfly shaped pages that will be made up into a book - another interesting ATCsforall.com swap* and one that is going to continue on through all the seasons. Using a template that fits in a 6" x 4" rectangle, the idea is to decorate butterfly wings with seasonal art - they are then swapped out.
This first swap is for spring so I went with March hares. I love hares, I love the mystery of them.
Although each pair here is actually the back and front of the same wing, it is interesting to get an idea of how the book will work...
I watercoloured the paper, which is sketch book paper on thick cardboard, with random background colour, using lots of wet in wet. Each wing is one template, coloured back and front.
I drew the hares with waterproof pens and then added the colour with water soluble pencils.