Sunday 18 September 2011

Using Chine-collé Dry Point Prints in collaged journal pages


I decided to use the mermaid prints I made at my printing workshop to illustrate a spread on the subject of "Mermaid Tales."
The inspiration is T.S. Eliot's Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock with the mermaid imagery:-

I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

  I do not think they will sing to me.

  I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.

  We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown            
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.



I used watercolour spray paint for the background and collaged on some embossed rectangles cut from a decorated page and embossed with Cuttlebug textures.

I used two complete chine-collé mermaid prints and then cut out the mermaids from other prints I had made.

I tried to bring the whole page together with an overlay of cut out and collaged waves.

3 comments:

  1. I love the way it pulls the viewer in! I would enjoy more information on your printing workshop where and how you made the mermaid prints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops, bad editing!
    Hi Marian, so pleased you like the pages, i did wonder if I had overdone it a bit!:)
    All the information is in a couple of earlier posts. I got interested in printing after going to a workshop with a friend.
    The first thing I did was a blog about the session I did with the tutor at a workshop venue near Spalding, Lincs UK
    (Sat 30 April Dry Point printing using acetate sheets)
    then there is a second post as there is now a monthly session where you can go and use the press and materials at the studios...
    (Sunday 8 May More Dry Point printing and Chine-collé)
    Hope this helps!
    xshirley

    ReplyDelete